Higher Ed and at Home
Through this theme, the Center seeks to spark broad dialogue about how intersecting inequities are rooted in and beyond the academy, including in the spaces of daily and domestic life outside it. Read more here…
News and Publications
- Photo Recap: Monday February 11 — “Black Lives Matter Under the Lens”
- Live-Stream Recording: “How do we Build a Just Long Island?” (11/29/18)
- Welcome to Our New Graduate Affiliates!
- Event Recaps for “Public Higher Ed and Neoliberalism Today” and “Work, Unions and (In)Justice at Stony Brook in the Wake of the Janus Decision”
- Center in the News: Newsday Coverage of our Upcoming Forum with ERASE Racism!
- New in Writing InE/J: Center Funded Research Reflections for Summer 2018!
- “Dark Lens: The Filipino Camera in Duterte’s Republic” Online Exhibit Now Open on CSISJP Website!
- “Deported” 9-26-18 Panel Discussion and Photo Exhibit
- WCSA 2018 Annual Conference Live-Stream Video Archive Posted
- September 18, 2018: Crystal Fleming’s book available for pre-order
- January 31, 2018: “How to Spend Trillions on ‘Infrastructure'” (S. Kelton)
- October 8, 2017: A Seat at the Table (Z. Miletsky)
- Carceral Interstices: Legitimacy on the Move
- October 5, 2017: How We Think About the Deficit Is Mostly Wrong (S. Kelton)
- September 29, 2017: Congress Can Give Every American a Pony (If It Breeds Enough Ponies) (S. Kelton)
- September 19, 2017: Harvard has shown its commitment to diversity was always a farce (C. Fleming)
- September 19, 2017: Pursuing a Toxic Agenda: Environmental Injustice in the Early Trump Administration (C. Sellers)
- January 8, 2017: This Is Fear: ICE Raids on Parents and Children (N. Hiemstra)
- July 1, 2017: Trump and Pruitt Are the Biggest Threat to the EPA in Its 47 Years of Existence (C. Sellers)
- June 19, 2017: The EPA under siege (C. Sellers)
NEWS & EVENTS
Join the Nassau County Jail Advocates for a lively discussion:
Guest Speaker: Lauren Jones, Senior Planner, Vera Institute of Justice
Gordan Mantler (George Washington University) on ML King, Jr.’s Poor People’s Movement
April 4: CANCELLED DUE TO FUNDING CUT
Theodore Allen Lecture on Race and Class:
William Darity, Samuel DuBois Cook Center on Social Equity, Duke University
Panel: Education and Inequality
Monday, April 10
Dragomir, “Telling Your Own Story: An Oral History Injustice in the Academia
Montegary, “‘Gender Insanity,’ ‘Academic Decadence,’ and ‘Social Justice Bullying’;
or, The Racial and Sexual Politics of Rightwing Attacks on US Higher Education
Robinson, “Voices From the Academic Margins: Experiences of LGBTQ Faculty”
Nothing from April 3, 2020 to May 2, 2020.
WCSA 2018 Conference:
CLASS AT THE BORDER: MIGRATION, CONFINEMENT, AND (IM)MOBILITY
The Working-Class Studies Association met at Stony Brook for its 2018 Annual Conference, with above theme. The Center hosted the event, as it has done for the past decade, on the campus of Stony Brook University in June of 2018.
Videos of the annual Working Class Studies Conference, hosted by the CSISJP in June of 2018, are now live. Click HERE for more information.
Introducing The Ineqwiki
The Ineqwiki provides a clearinghouse for the island's community groups and other non-profits, as well as academics, students, and others in colleges and universities, to find one another and collaborate. It seeks to become a springboard for joint work, whether through internships, class or service projects or research, that helps illuminate, address and remedy the many faces of inequality and injustice on Long Island.